It’s got calendar dates on it! With opponents! Soccer will be played! Good times will be had! New hair styles will be critiqued! It’s what we’ve all been waiting for!
Louisville City just issued a press release with four upcoming preseason match dates:
- Saturday, February 24 vs. Young Harris College (NCAA)
- Location TBD | Time TBD | closed to public (Season Ticket Member Event)
- Saturday, March 3 at Northern Kentucky Univ. (NCAA)
- NKU Soccer Stadium | 1 PM | open, free
- Wednesday, March 7 at Lipscomb Univ. (NCAA)
- Elizabethtown Sports Park | TBD | open, free
- Saturday, March 10 at Saint Louis FC
- Arad McCutcheon Stadium (Evansville, IN) | TBD | open, $5 charge
If you can make any of those, you should. NKU actually has a pretty good soccer tradition in the lower divisions of NCAA, and recently joined Division I. Young Harris and Lipscomb, we’re familiar with. The last date is the fun one, though: STLFC in Evansville! We can be a little disappointed that neither UK or UofL are on this year’s preseason schedule, but that’s likely just a function of scheduling.
The USL season is starting about a week earlier than usual this year, mainly due to the continuously expanding universe roster of teams, which necessitates more matchdays. Thus, the preseason is a little compressed – four matches in two and a half weeks seems like a lot. However, preseason is usually a good chance for O’Connor and company to try out new tactics, see how the new guys play with the squad in game situations, and see how guys perform in different roles. Results matter quite a bit less, though I’m guessing Saint Louis will take a win wherever they can get it.
Real soccer is just over a month away, y’all. GET EXCITED. COME ON, CITY!