Sorry this is a day late, but life got in my way, and I figured you’d rather read about soccer today than
the impending death of American society Election 2016. Here we go!
Louisville City FC
- Nothing. I’d kind of hoped we’d be hearing about players by now, but no dice.
- If you want to see some of the guys, they’ll be at the new Raising Cane’s chicken place in Middletown tomorrow from 2-4. The press release says they’ll be working the drive through and signing autographs, which brings up a discussion about player wages that I don’t want to get into.
United Soccer League:
- Sean Okoli won MVP, Mitch Hildebrandt won Goalkeeper of the Year, John Wolyniec won Coach of the Year, et cetera, et cetera.
- There’s a lot of business/synergy stuff going on with the league right now, so if you’re interested in that sort of thing, I recommend you check out the league website because I’m not gonna write about it.
- UofL started their ACC Championship run out right with a 1-0 win against Virginia at Lynn Stadium. Their reward? A visit to 2015 NCAA Champion Wake Forest in Winston-Salem tomorrow night at 7 PM on WatchESPN. Good luck, Cards.
- Kentucky dropped their regular season finale to South Carolina on Friday night last week, which hurt their seeding in the Conference USA Championship. They’ll start out against a perennially very good New Mexico team tomorrow afternoon at 2PM on CUSAtv, which is an actual thing.
- Daviess County boys won the 2016 KHSAA State Soccer tournament after 8 rounds of penalties against Covington Catholic over the weekend. The win marked the Panthers’ first soccer championship and ended a 27-1 season.
- West Jessamine County won the Girls State Soccer tournament, beating Lexington Catholic 4-0 for their first state title. Congrats to Arin Gilliland’s alma mater!
- Seattle and Colorado will vie for the Western Conference Championship in MLS, while Toronto and Montreal will battle for the East in an all-Canadian affair. I’m sure there will be lots of “I’m sooorry” exchanged after tackles in that one.
- It’s an international break! USA and Mexico face off on Friday in Columbus. Head up to Saints for the game and cheer on our gringos. USA! USA!