News From The Purple Front

Louisville City FC Updates, Opinions & Trash Talk
Be part of our growing regiment. Join passionate fans as we attend games and conduct events & festivities around town.

Louisville City Rebound For First Win 3-1 in Orlando

Louisville City won their first game of the 2017 campaign on the road defeating Orlando City B 3-1 on March 30. Despite having forced to field a makeshift XI again, City still dominated the game out-shooting Orlando 17-11.

The first chance of the game went to City in the seventh minute. Oscar Jimenez’s cross connected with Tarek Morad, who headed the ball to the right post. Orlando City B goalkeeper Earl Edwards Jr. reacted late but punched the ball wide.

Cameron Lancaster opened the scoring in the 11th minute. City’s high press turned over Orlando in their half. Lancaster collected George Davis IV’s pass and unleashed a long-distance strike past the outstretched arms of Edwards.

Lancaster’s shift was cut short after injuring his hamstring. Luke Spencer came on for the Englishman in the 28th minute.

Orlando would tie the game in the 43rd after a miscommunication between Tim Dobrowolski and Morad resulted in an own goal. Austin Martz’s cross into the box looked to be a routine catch by Dobrowolski. However, Morad intervened and his failed clearance brushed off his foot and rolled into the back of the net.

City dominated the first half running the offense through Paolo Del Piccolo and Brian Ownby. They enjoyed 60% possession early and led to 10 shots, but failed to capitalize on them.

City came out of the half and picked up where they left off. The pressure finally paid off in the 55th minute. Richard Ballard corraled in a pass by Brian Ownby on the right flank. He dribbled past a defender and back-heeled a pass to Davis IV, who first-timed his shot between the legs of Edwards to give City the 2-1 lead.

Orlando’s best chance came in the second half. Pierre Da Silva swung in a cross. Dikwa Albert put a firm header on goal but did not trouble Dobrowolski who made a comfortable save.

Spencer scored his first goal for Louisville City in the 76th minute. Niall McCabe played a through ball into space in the center of the box, where Spencer finished through the legs of Edwards to make it 3-1.

City are on an extended break and do not play until April 8 taking on the Richmond Kickers. Kick-off is scheduled for 5 p.m.