It’s USL Awards Week!
We already know Matt Fondy won the 2015 Golden Boot on the back of his 22 league goals, and Bryan Burke (we’ll miss you…sniff) picked up the award for most assists on the season with ten (Fondy, it should be noted, had seven). But this week, the league will announce its awards for All-League teams as well as Goalkeeper, Defender, Coach, Rookie, and Player of the Year.
- As you probably expected, Fondy and Burke made First Team All-USL. You can find the rest of the list here, all hail Long Tan.
- Rochester’s Brandon Miller has picked up the mantle of Goalkeeper of the year, only letting fifteen get by him in 28 games. Cheese and crackers, man.
- We don’t even know what to do with this:
Spread your influence across a sports-focussed audience. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
— FC Cincinnati (@fccincinnati) October 25, 2015
- The 30th USL team has been announced: Swope Park Rangers, Sporting KC’s USL team. As they’ll be in the West, chances are high Louisville City will never play them. Oh well. Several have voiced complaints about the name of the team and its branding, but with all the hell we give teams that just put a 2 after their parent club’s name, this is fine.
- Louisville Metro Councilcritter Dan Johnson said in a caucus last week that the best spot for a new stadium for Elsie would be at Champions Park on River Road. We’re on the record as being okay with this spot, but we do have concerns about how anyone manages the Ohio River’s annual invasion of that patch of land every spring, especially in light of what it did to the club’s training ground just down the road at Thurman-Hutchins Park. ENGINEERS, ASSEMBLE!