by Taylor Sorrels (@taylorsorrels)
Last Week this Morning, or at least some time during the day or night, is our weekly USL linky roundup. Best enjoyed with coffee or the beer your friends left in your fridge last weekend.
So that loss to self-described “lowly Charlotte” still stings. So does the sunburn you got from being outside all weekend betting on animals with tiny men on them. Or women. Let’s all put on our aloe, take a deep breath, and be glad we’re not Wilmington Hammerheads fans:
- Because what fans they do have are pretty angsty and upset. For good reason. One of the old guard in the USL not screaming past the rest of the league to the top of the table, the weirdo-sharks are sitting on 5 points in six games played. That’s just above FC Montreal and Toronto FC II, who have made it pretty clear they don’t a) know what they’re doing and/or b) give a damn about trying to compete in this league. But yay MLS 2 clubs, right?
- Last weekend’s big match between Charleston Battery and Richmond Kickers ended almost fittingly in a 2-2 draw at City Stadium. The Battery scored 2 quick 2nd half goals to take a 1-2 lead after the 49th minute, but couldn’t hang on to the three points, giving up a Brian Ownby goal with about 10 minutes left to play.
- Arizona United SC were supposed to build on a pretty successful inaugural season this year. Despite Long Tan’s best efforts, which should totally be enough, that hasn’t happened. AZU lost their third game on the trot to the alphabet soup that is Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 2-3, despite being up 2 men for the last 2o minutes.
- Meme of the week: count the MLS2 club’s fans! Here are some nice screen shots of Red Bull Arena for Sunday’s RBNYII vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds game and Providence Park for Portland Timbers 2 vs. Orange County Blues:
Over/under’s set on 30.
- NON-SEQUITUR LINK OF THE WEEK: MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU.