by Taylor Sorrels (@AbGatorade)
Now that we’ve had about 24 hours to calm down, reflect, drink some beers, and consider the schedule, here are some other interesting thoughts I’ve thought about the 2015 USL Pro Schedule:
- HT to T.J. Walker “The Sports Talker” for a) having such a money nickname b) bravely trying to bring back the word “wowzers” and c) being the first person on Twitter to realize that Louisville City FC plays at home on July 4. At night. At Slugger Field. By the river. Where there will be fireworks. For America’s birthday. I mean, it doesn’t get much better.
- 6 game in August seems like a lot, doesn’t it?
- Pretty wise not to play a home game on Derby Day, I think.
- Back to back games against STLFC to round out the month of May should be fun.
- Just two long-ish road trips, at the end of July and at the end of the season.
- Travel in a country as big as ours is often a forgotten and expensive logistical reality for teams playing in national sports leagues. Travel and away lodging are often the second greatest expense on teams’ balance sheets after player wages. This year, total miles logged to and from away matches: 14,318. That’s over half the length of the Equator, and the crazy thing is it’s fairly reasonable for a team in this league.
Anything I’m missing? Let me know in the comments.