News From The Purple Front

Louisville City FC Updates, Opinions & Trash Talk
Be part of our growing regiment. Join passionate fans as we attend games and conduct events & festivities around town.

Aodhan Quinn’s Equaliser Haunts Louisville City in River Cities Derby

Late heroics by former Louisville City captain Aodhan Quinn will haunt City as the River Cities Derby ended in a 1-1 draw at Nippert Stadium on Saturday night.

City failed to take advantage of a late red card by USL leading goalscorer Djiby Fall, but still remain undefeated (3-0-2) in the league.

20,437 fans created an intense atmosphere. Cincinnati fed off the support and took control of the game early. City was forced to defend, but held firm.

Brian Ownby’s goal came against the run of play but gave City the lead in the 20th minute. Ownby and Kyle Smith played a one-two past a Cincinnati defender. Ownby cut inside and curled a shot with his left foot. It flew past the outstretched arms of Cincinnati goalkeeper Mitch Hildebrandt for his first goal as a City player.

Cincinnati would control the pace for the rest of the half. Their 54% possession translated to seven shots. Service to Fall was plentiful but failed to trouble City goalkeeper Tim Dobrowolski.

Cincinnati upped the pressure in the second half. Off of a corner, Austin Berry flicked a header to the back post from Aodhan Quinn’s cross. Before Cincinnati could pounce, Niall McCabe cleared it off the line.

City almost doubled the advantage in the 65th minute. George Davis IV dispossessed Harrison Delbridge in the box and fired a low shot from close range. Luke Spencer rebounded Hildebrandt’s quick reaction save, but fired way over.

Cincinnati’s finally pressure paid off in the 79th minute. City failed to clear the ball away. Quinn pounced on a loose ball and fired low past Dobrowolski.

City continued to closely mark Fall, and his frustration reached its tipping point when he was red carded in the 86th minute. The referee sent off the Senegalese after a double-studded challenge. James O’Connor stated later in the post-game press conference that Fall had bitten Niall McCabe in the face after he was shown red.

Louisville City return home for their next match against Toronto FC II on April 29. Kick off is set for 7:30 p.m.